Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Good morning from HP Belize Adventure Lodge


I got out of bed this morning after a much needed rest. Before stepping into the office I walked along the dock (yes, I live at work) and immediately noticed literally millions of sardines in the shadow of the dock. Crevalle jacks were darting in and out of the bait ball while a huge barracuda lay motionless a couple feet away getting cleaned by a juvenile Spanish grunt about 2 inches in size. About 5 large bonefish silted up the bottom of the shallow end irritating several upside down jellies. As I walked in front of the dive shop I carefully examined the bottom through the unusually crystal clear water and noticed 3 juvenile yellow stingrays. The largest was about 3 inches across. Yes, that's right, inches not feet. They seemed to be hatch lings in their settling stage. The sun was slowly rising over the horizon and I felt like I had just discovered something new for today. I remember working with Richard Foster filming fish migrations for National Geographic last year and I know he would have loved to be here with millions of fish just under the dock. We searched Turneffe Atoll for schooling fish and after a week, including 2 days at the Elbow during the full moon, he probably got 15 minutes of usable video but he got plenty of stock footage and was happy. If I had only known then.

How many people can say that they look forward to an exciting morning on the way to the office?
Photo Credit: Sunrise at Belize Adventure Lodge by Tony Rath.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! Keep posting! I'll keep reading and wishing I was there. I have an phone interview with Dr. Mike Heithaus for a post-doc position on Monday at 3. IF I were to get it, it could infuse some money into our manatee and dolphin project in Belize ;-) Would be nice to spend extended time at my 2nd home, again. Cheers, Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Belize adventure is providing vacationers with unforgettable experiences and adventures for more than two decades. It is the very best of the country's culture, natural environment, wildlife and sporting opportunities, allowing adventurers to explore many different facets of beautiful Belize. Thanks a lot...

    belize adventure

    ReplyDelete